Wood shake roof catches fire in La Pine; 2nd time at same home

La Pine Firefighters Wednesday quickly knocked down a wood shake roof fire at the same home a similar fire sparked in 2012.

Fire Chief Mike Supkis said crews responded to a home on Patken Circle around 10:22 a.m. to find a small fire that started due to sparks from a wood stove chimney that ignited the dry, pine needle-covered wood cedar shakes.

He said damage was limited to the roof covering.

“Wood shake roofs although aesthetically pleasing and popular many decades ago have been found not compatible with the Central Oregon climate, wildland urban interface, and wildfire threats,” Supkis said in a release. “The La Pine Rural Fire Protection District strongly encourages any homeowner with a wood shake roof to replace it with a non-combustible Class A roof  – some of which can mimic the style of wood shakes.”

Nine firefighters responded and received some help from Crescent Fire. Firefighters were on scene about an hour and there were no reported injuries.

Join the Conversation

Top Local Stories

  541.749.5151

co-daily