▶️ 2nd fire starts at Tumalo home hours after 1st one extinguished


Bend Fire and Rescue says a second fire started at a Tumalo home Friday morning, hours after firefighters had left the scene of the first fire that had been extinguished.

Firefighters were sent to the home on Grande Loop just before 10:00 p.m. They found a working fire in the attic and were able to put it out.

Bend Fire says the property owner reported that the power had gone out in the home. They contacted the power company at about 9:00 p.m., thinking it was a neighborhood outage, and went to bed.

A technician for Central Electric Cooperative arrived just before 10:00 p.m. and found smoke coming from the roofline of the home, Bend Fire said. The technician called 911 and helped the homeowner and two dogs evacuate safely.

RELATED: ‘Tis the season for holiday fires: How to keep your family and home safe

After putting the fire out, firefighters worked to make sure burning material was fully extinguished, Bend Fire said. The last crew left the home at 1:31 a.m.

But in a follow-up report on Friday afternoon, Bend Fire said a second fire started in the same home just after 6:00 a.m. Multiple calls came in to 911. Crews arrived to find flames coming from the roof and they put the fire out. 

Bend Fire says the cause of the first fire was determined to be an electrical fire in the attic. The second fire was determined to be smoldering material.

The damages are estimated to be $180,000 on the structure, $60,000 in contents and a $25,000 vehicle loss.



Top Local Stories