Mt. Bachelor announced Wednesday it will open on November 29th, but there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to ski.
The ski area will host “Hopening Day” on Black Friday to bring the community together and give everyone a chance to play in the snow.
Current mountain conditions show a base of just 1″ – not nearly enough to ski on, but the event promises plenty of on-mountain activities including scavenger hunts, snow fort play, fire pits for s’mores, face painting and more.
Here’s the full release from the ski area announcing the event:
Mt. Bachelor, which boasts natural mountain adventure at the heart of Bend, Oregon culture and a POWDR resort, announced today it will host ‘Hopening Day,’ an event that will bring the community together to come play in the snow at Mt. Bachelor’s on Black Friday, November 29. Join us in hoping for opening day and check conditions page daily for news on lift openings and Nordic conditions.
Hopening Day is an action-packed afternoon, from 12-4pm, for Bend and the surrounding communities, our passholders, families and guests from afar. Mt. Bachelor will host four zones in the West Village area, including: a Woodward Mountain Park terrain park at the base of West Village Lodge, a Grom Garden, West Village deck activities and the Gravity Sports storefront. While we track snow and announce lift openings, guests are invited to come play in the snow and soak up the early winter season on #HopeningDay. Skiers and riders can session in the Woodward Mountain Park terrain park while others enjoy a Hot Toddy or Hot Chocolate on the West Village Deck, or hang out and take pictures with our Ski Patrol and Avalanche Dogs. We’ve got plenty of winter fun and prizes. This event is free and open to all.
Hopening Day will run from 12-4pm and Event Details are as follows:
- Giveaways: Mt. Bachelor will have an onsite photographer and give away a GoPro Hero 7 to a standout skier or snowboarder. There will be additional giveaways for skiers and riders, as well. Mt. Bachelor ski school will also be onsite with Zone Coaches and some of the new Woodward Mountain Park foam tools for learning.
- Family Activities: At the base of the West Village Lodge steps we will have a ‘Grom Garden’ set up to greet our Ski Patrol and Mt. Bachelor avalanche dogs, and other FREE family activities include: snow fort play, s’mores fire pits, Make Your Own Coke Float, Winter Face Painting and more.
- Scavenger hunts: Come join one of our four scavenger hunts: Green Circle for kids 6 and under, Blue Square for 7-10 and Black Diamond for 11-15. All scavenger hunts will be concentrated to the West Village base area with prizes from Mt. Bachelor, Yeti, and Under Armour. The Black Diamond grand prize is a GoPro Hero 7. Be here by 2pm to enjoy these three scavenger hunts! Our 4th scavenger hunt – Double Black Diamond – for anyone 16 and older – will start on the West Village deck, and all contestants will compete to win a set of Nokian Tyres in preparation for the coming winter storms! The Double Black Diamond scavenger hunt starts at 3pm.
- Hot treats: For adults 21 and over to enjoy, we’ve got Pray for Snow Pours and Hot Toddies, among other beverages, and live DJ music.
- Winter Toast: Our Winter Toast, on West Village Lodge deck, with President and General Manager, John McLeod, will commence at 3:15pm.
Round out your Hopening Day at Mt. Bachelor with a stop by the Gravity Sports Shop, Central Oregon’s premier outdoor retailer, which will be open from noon – 4pm, and if you haven’t picked up your season pass yet, the Mt. Bachelor inside ticketing office, in the Gateway building, will be open for pass pictures and pick up. In addition, the Mt. Bachelor Nordic Center will host a Nordic Open House, lodge staff will be waxing skis, serving hot cider and cookies.