Power outage closes Bend High; small fire discovered in classroom ceiling

Firefighters Monday put out a small fire in a classroom ceiling at Bend High – fortunately the school was closed at the time due to a transformer that went up in flames on Sunday.

A staff member inside the school noticed a scorched ceiling tile in a classroom in the southwest part of the building, poked it and discovered a small fire, District Spokeswoman Julianne Repman said.

Staff initially used an extinguisher to fight the fire before calling the fire department, which showed up a few minutes later.

Firefighters arrived and finished the job before walking through the building with staff to ensure it was all clear.

During a windstorm Sunday, a transformer blew on campus knocking out power to the school and canceling classes on Monday.

In an update sent to parents, students and staff this morning, the district still wasn’t sure about classes resuming on Tuesday. They hoped to have an update by 6 p.m.

 

 

 

 

 

Join the Conversation

Top Local Stories

  541.749.5151

co-daily