(Editor’s note: A photo of the dead wolf is found at the bottom of this story. It may be disturbing to some)
Oregon State Police are asking for the public’s help find whoever shot a female wolf who was found dead in Baker County earlier this month.
OSP said it learned that a collared wolf, identified as OR88, may have been killed nine miles northeast of Durkee near Little Lookout Mountain.
Fish and Wildlife Troopers and Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife personnel found the dead wolf on Bureau of Land Management property, OSP said. The wolf had been shot with a firearm.
The black female wolf was part of the Lookout Mountain Pack. They believe she was shot on October 2.
Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to contact OSP through the Turn in Poachers (TIP) hotline at 1-800-452-7888 or dial *OSP (mobile). Reference case number SP22266783.
RELATED: Another bull elk poached in Oregon; 4th in 2 weeks, including one locally
RELATED: Elk or deer roadkill in Oregon? Salvagers reminded to still report them
Oregon’s TIP program offers preference points or cash rewards for information leading toward a conclusion in the investigation of the illegal killing of wildlife and waste of big game.
PREFERENCE POINT REWARDS:
- 5 Points-Mountain Sheep
- 5 Points-Rocky Mountain Goat
- 5 Points-Moose
- 5 Points-Wolf
- 4 Points-Elk
- 4 Points-Deer
- 4 Points-Antelope
- 4 Points-Bear
- 4 Points-Cougar
Oregon Hunters Association (OHA) Cash Rewards:
- $1,000 Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat, and Moose
- $500 Elk, Deer, and Antelope
- $300 Bear, Cougar, and Wolf
- $300 Habitat Destruction
- $200 – Illegally obtaining Oregon hunting or angling license or tags
- $200 – Unlawful Lending/Borrowing Big Game Tag(s)
- $100 Upland Birds and Waterfowl
- $100 Game Birds or Furbearers
- $100 Game Fish and Shellfish
Oregon Wildlife Coalition (OWC) Cash Rewards:
- $500 Hawk, Falcon, Eagle, Owl, Osprey
- All other protected avian species: see category below for listed species
- $500 Cougar, Bobcat, Beaver (public lands only), Black bears, Bighorn Sheep, Marten, Fisher, Sierra Nevada Red Fox
Species listed as “threatened” or “endangered” under state or federal Endangered Species Act (excludes fish)
- $1,000 (e.g. wolf, wolverine, kit fox, red tree vole, Canada lynx, sea otter, Columbian white-tailed deer, California brown pelican, western snowy plover, California least tern, northern spotted owl, marbled murrelet, short-tailed albatross, streaked horned lark, yellow-billed cuckoo, leatherback sea turtle, olive ridley sea turtle, Oregon spotted frog, green sea turtle, loggerhead sea turtle)