La Pine Trailer Fire Ignited by Stain-Soaked Rags

Stain-soaked rags left in a utility trailer spontaneously combusted and sparked a fire in La Pine early Tuesday, according to the La Pine Rural Fire Protection District.

According Chief Mike Supkis, the trailer owner on Blanket Court awoke to pet the dogs about 4:45 a.m. and noticed the fire. They called 911 and used a garden hose to try to extinguish the fire and keep it from spreading to a nearby out building.

Crews arrived to find the 16-foot trailer engulfed in flames.

The homeowner said they thought they nearly had the fire out but a Polaris Ranger UTV in the trailer “took off” and they lost control of the blaze. The woman wanted to get a fire extinguisher from the out building, but the 911 dispatcher advised her to not enter the building.

La Pine Fire said the homeowners were planning to leave Tuesday to return to their other home in California and had packed the previous day. They had used the Ranger earlier in the day and also stained the deck and discarded the soaked rags along with other trash in the trailer with the intent of discarding in a dumpster in their other home.

 

Join the Conversation

Top Local Stories

  541.749.5151

co-daily