La Pine garage fire quickly stopped but results in minor smoke injuries

Fire damaged a detached garage in La Pine Tuesday night and two men suffered smoke inhalation trying to salvage the two cars parked inside, according to the La Pine Fire Department.

Chief Mike Supkis said firefighters responded to the blaze around 7:35 p.m. at a home on Rainbow Drive. The structure was a detached garage about five feet from the home.

The family was home at the time and noticed smoke coming from the structure. They called 911 and two men tried to go in the garage to determine the source of the smoke and fire and save the two cars, Supkis said. They were quickly overcome by the developing smoke and one became visibly sick, Supkis said. They declined additional treatment and were not taken to the hospital.

Supkis said 14 firefighters on an engine, two tenders and other command vehicles arrived to quickly knock down the fire. The fire caused heavy smoke and some heat damage to the interior of the garage and the two vehicles.

Electrical failure at a 240-volt receptacle box is closely being looked at as the ignition point due to a failed of the wire running through an unprotected box opening, Supkis said. The electrical box and wire were exposed and located behind a large storage shelf in which household items had been placed prior to the fire.

The La Pine Rural Fire Protection District wants to remind citizens to never renter a burning structure as it can become deadly in seconds.

Join the Conversation

Top Local Stories

  541.749.5151

co-daily