Sunday night kitchen fire in Deschutes River Woods causes thousands in damages


Bend Fire Department was dispatched to a kitchen fire in Deschutes River Woods Sunday night around 5:30 p.m.

Authorities say the occupant and his dogs evacuated the home safely.

The fire spread to the roof and attic, causing an estimated $15,000 in damages.

RELATED: Another trailer destroyed by fire in Juniper Ridge, second one in a week

RELATED: Oregon fire engine program delivers 1st engine to Central Cascades Fire

Cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires in the country. Bend Fire shared these safety tips to help prevent cooking fires:

Cook with Caution

  • Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove or stove top.
  • Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking. If you leave the kitchen for even a short time, turn off the stove and oven.
  • If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or broiling food, check it regularly; remain in the home while food is cooking and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking. Unattended cooking is leading cause of cooking fires in America.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire – oven mits, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels and curtains – away from the cook top.

If You Have a Cooking Fire…

  • Get out and Stay out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. Turn off the stove and oven when you leave if you can do it safely. 
  • Ensure everyone else in the home is evacuating as well. 
  • Call 911 immediately.
  • If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and calling 911 for you. Ensure you have a clear way out too.
  • Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stove top. Leave the pan covered until it’s completely cooled!
  • For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed. 



Top Local Stories