Fire damages La Pine mixed-use shop

A fire Tuesday night destroyed part of a mixed-use building that was also being used as a non-permitted residential unit in La Pine, according to officials.

The La Pine Rural Fire Protection District responded to the fire at 16953 Kasserman Drive about 7:30 p.m.

Nearly 20 firefighters responded with an engine, three tenders, and three support units to find the 20-foot-by-40-foot shop portion of the building with numerous propane and fuel tanks engulfed, said Fire Chief Mike Supkis.

Firefighters were able to prevent the spread to the “residential” half of the building and quickly knocked down the fire while also protecting nearby exposures, Supkis said. No one was reported in the structure at the time of fire and there were no smoke detectors present. Firefighters were on scene for more than two hours.

Supkis said the fire is still under investigation and investigators are looking closely at electrical due to the area of origin and the significant amount of non standard wiring such as numerous extension cords used as permeant wiring.

No injuries were reported.

Image courtesy LPRFPD

Join the Conversation

Top Local Stories

  541.749.5151

co-daily