Fire damages Bend garage; unattended wick to blame

  |  

A wick used to light smoking materials caused a small garage fire in Bend Friday morning, according to Bend Fire & Rescue.

Crews responded to the fire on SE Rolo Ct around 11 a.m.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze before it spread out of the garage.

Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Derlacki said a family of three got out of the house before the fire department arrived.

Derlacki said the family rental had renters insurance and they were able to find a hotel room for a few nights until the home was livable again.

The fire was caused by a wick used to light smoking materials being left unattended near combustibles on a shelf, he said.

Derlacki said the occupant went back inside and the combustibles ignited.

“Be sure to always fully extinguish any smoking materials before leaving the room,” he said. “All spent smoking material should be placed into a non-combustible container when done and disposed of after they are cold to the touch.”

The damage was about $15,000.

 

 

FacebooktwittermailFacebooktwittermail

Top Local Stories

co-daily

Loading...