(Editor’s note: An image of the three deer killed in this crime can be found at the bottom of this story. It may be considered graphic)
Oregon State Troopers say they have identified a suspect in the unlawful killing of three young Blacktail deer bucks nearly two years after the crime.
OSP said a citizen found the three bucks alongside a sand road on the North Spit of Coos Bay on March 23, 2021. All three deer were shot in the head from a relatively close range and were likely taken using artificial light at night.
The deer were shot and left to waste. The shooting happened when the season was closed for Blacktail deer.
OSP announced Monday it interview and ultimately charged Macen M. West, 21, of North Bend, Ore. He’s charged with three counts of Take Game Mammal Closed Season, Waste of Game Mammal and Hunting with the aid of Artificial Light.
Troopers also seized the rifle that OSP says is believed to have been used in the crimes.
Oregon’s Turn In Poachers (TIP) program offers preference points or cash rewards for information leading toward a conclusion in the investigation of the illegal killing of wildlife and waste of big game.
PREFERENCE POINT REWARDS:
- 5 Points-Mountain Sheep
- 5 Points-Rocky Mountain Goat
- 5 Points-Moose
- 5 Points-Wolf
- 4 Points-Elk
- 4 Points-Deer
- 4 Points-Antelope
- 4 Points-Bear
- 4 Points-Cougar
Oregon Hunters Association (OHA) Cash Rewards:
- $1,000 Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat, and Moose
- $500 Elk, Deer, and Antelope
- $300 Bear, Cougar, and Wolf
- $300 Habitat Destruction
- $200 – Illegally obtaining Oregon hunting or angling license or tags
- $200 – Unlawful Lending/Borrowing Big Game Tag(s)
- $100 Upland Birds and Waterfowl
- $100 Game Birds or Furbearers
- $100 Game Fish and Shellfish
Oregon Wildlife Coalition (OWC) Cash Rewards:
- $500 Hawk, Falcon, Eagle, Owl, Osprey
- All other protected avian species: see category below for listed species
- $500 Cougar, Bobcat, Beaver (public lands only), Black bears, Bighorn Sheep, Marten, Fisher, Sierra Nevada Red Fox
Species listed as “threatened” or “endangered” under state or federal Endangered Species Act (excludes fish)
- $1,000 (e.g. wolf, wolverine, kit fox, red tree vole, Canada lynx, sea otter, Columbian white-tailed deer, California brown pelican, western snowy plover, California least tern, northern spotted owl, marbled murrelet, short-tailed albatross, streaked horned lark, yellow-billed cuckoo, leatherback sea turtle, olive ridley sea turtle, Oregon spotted frog, green sea turtle, loggerhead sea turtle).