Bend PD: Woman arrested for DUII hit and run left infant at home alone

A woman driving drunk crashed into three cars and drove away from the scene Sunday night – all while her 2-month-old baby was at home alone, according to Bend Police.

Just before 8:30 p.m. officers responded to a hit and run crash near NW Olney Avenue and NW Bond Street. Officers arrived in the area of the crash and determined a silver Chevy car driven by a woman caused a collision that involved three other vehicles, including one with two kids inside, said Sgt. R.C. Bigelow. The woman left the crash scene.

Moments later, someone called 911 and reported a Chevy car was crashed facing the wrong way (northbound) on the southbound exit to the Parkway at NW Revere Avenue. Bigelow said the caller gave a description of the woman and reported she ran from the crashed car.

The woman was contacted by an assisting Oregon State Police trooper before being arrested by Bend PD for suspicion of DUII and hit and run, Bigelow said. The continued investigation revealed the that the woman, identified as as 26-year-old Katie Hall, had an infant child at her home. Officers conducted a welfare check on the 2-month-old. Officers found the child home, alone on the hardwood floor of the residence, Bigelow said.

It appeared to the officers that the child may have fallen from the bed where it had been left unattended. Paramedics responded and evaluated the child, but the infant did not require medical attention and was left in the care of family.

The Bend Police Department was assisted by the Oregon State Police, The Oregon Department of Transportation and the Oregon Department of Human Services Child Welfare Division.

Hall was charged with felony DUII, felony hit and run, misdemeanor hit and run, second-degree child neglect and five counts of reckless endangering.

Court records show she was on conditional release after being charged with failure to perform the duties of a driver back in September.

She was twice charged with DUII in June 2014, pleading guilty to one of the charges in September that year.



Join the Conversation

Top Local Stories