Dog dies in NE Bend house fire

Bend House Fire 11-30-23
  |  

A dog died in a house fire in northeast Bend Thursday afternoon, Bend Fire and Rescue said. 

The fire was reported at 2:45 p.m. on NE Rock Chuck Drive. A caller to 911 reported the fire coming a two-story home that he was house sitting, Bend Fire said.

Firefighters arrived to find the home engulfed with flames and smoke coming from the living room and second story window. It took about 20 minutes to put the fire out.

RELATED: Redmond house fire caused by something cooking while no one was home

RELATED: A fire sprinkler system puts out fire caused by a charging electric skateboard

Nobody was inside. While a dog and cat were found OK, another dog died in the fire. There was extreme fire and smoke damage to the entire interior of the house. 

Investigators say it appears the fire was an accident, started from improperly discarded ashes from the wood burning stove that were placed in a plastic bucket and left inside the home.

Bend Fire & Rescue reminds people that hot or cold ashes from a wood stove should always be placed in a metal container with a lid and moved to the outside of the home, away from any combustible material. 

FacebooktwittermailFacebooktwittermail

Top Local Stories

co-daily

Loading...