The closure of the intersection at 15th Street and Wilson Avenue in Bend for construction of a new roundabout will begin next Monday, Feb. 20.
Drivers are being alerted to detours that will be in place for the closure, which is expected to take two months.
- NORTHBOUND DETOUR – Take 15th Street to Reed Market Road. Turn right on 9th Street. Turn right on Franklin Avenue. Turn right on 10th Street (turns into Bear Creek Road).
- SOUTHBOUND DETOUR – Take 15th Street to Bear Creek Road (turns into 10th Street). Turn left on Franklin Avenue. Turn left on 9th Street and continue to Wilson Avenue.
- EASTBOUND DETOUR – Take Wilson Avenue to 9th Street.
If the weather or something else doesn’t cause a delay, the roundabout is expected to open in April.
The new roundabout will cost about $5 million. It’s more expensive than most roundabouts because of the amount of earthwork required to level the site and for the removal of a house last December.
Final preparations for the closure happening this week include:
- Crews will be excavating curbs on the north side of Wilson Avenue.
- Storm catch basin and drywell installation work will continue.
- Wall blocks will be installed for the future retaining wall for the roundabout at 15th Street.